Van De Graaf Generators [VDG]: 200kV, 400kV, Belts
• Common problems are that schools order the wrong belt or supply insufficient information for us to supply the correct size of belt for their VDG.
• Belts are available from stock for certain makes and models of VDG’s. If your VDG is not one of these models we will make a belt. Measurements required are circumference and width of belt.
• Belts usually stretch with ageing so, if sending an old belt, it may be necessary to suggest that we make a slightly shorter belt to compensate for this.
Please advise how much shorter it should be. Alternatively we can send a length of belting, not joined, for you to cut to exact length and glue. They are very easy to join – Refer to VDG BELT listing – CUSTOM for the type of glue to use.
• Advising the make and model of VDG does not help as both IEC Pty Ltd and Griffin & George have produced the same VDG model but with a different belt length – very frustrating!
• IEC Pty Ltd upgraded their VDG’s about fourteen years ago.
They offer an upgrade kit to modify older models to bring them up to the new specification – Refer to VDG UPGRADE KIT – IEC PTY LTD listing.
The new VDG’s have a belt size that is much smaller in circumference than the original –(approx) 920 mm circumference x 50 mm wide.
• Belts need to be stretched considerably for it to fit.
This is normal as the low friction bearings used in the new model or upgraded VDG’s overcome the extra friction caused by the tensioning.
The shorter, tighter fitting belt is necessary to stop excessive flapping when the VDG is running.
Checking the original belt size is the easiest way to decide.
• The new and upgraded models have a brown, lilac or cream coloured belt that does not have a join in it and has to be stretched about 250 mm to fit over the top and bottom rollers of the VDG.
It is helpful to send the old belt when ordering a new belt for the IEC VDG if you are unsure.
If ordering a belt to dimensions supplied please quote CRE1614 – VDG BELT – CUSTOM.